Thursday, October 2, 2008

Verse of the Day

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.”
- Proverbs 29:25

Surely a word study could clear this all up pretty quickly, but for the sake of working through my thoughts, I'll avoid that resource.

Back in the old days, everytime I thought of what it was to 'fear' God, it seemed to me that meant we were to be afraid of Him. In some respects, I guess that could still be true -- He is God, and as such is very capable of a lot, some of which may be very scary -- now though, my mind settles on a different concept of fear.
More current thoughts about the fear of God bring my mind to settle on an idea of respect for Him. This is not any sort of respect though -- this is a reverence which, when applied, is poignant enough to alter our thoughts, make our decisions -- enough to remodel our entire being.
When we respect someone, do we not have a high regard for his opinions? Does it not lead us to desire to please him absolutely, that we might not let him down in any way? Do we not long for his favor?
Upon first reading through the verse, I wondered how fearing men could possibly be dangerous -- then it occured to me; man is deceitful, self-interested and constantly inconstant. To fully please man is to assume many different identities at one time, to define no parameters for personal character, and to make a life out of compromise. To fully please man is impossible, and would make for a destructive and dangerous life, indeed.
So why do we try so hard to do it?
Why do we endeavor so dutifully to earn the affections of all mankind when God's is the only significant opinion?

More later, perhaps!

No comments: