Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sip of the Day

Thank you, God, for helping me feel, for softening my heart, for those moments of understanding, and for the chance to hold onto them as long as it takes to reorient my mind and focus, really focus, on right now.

Right now I am thinking about how the little mug of water has been sitting in the microwave for a few minutes... . problem solved, and steeping started.

Right now I am also thinking about school, how I should probably work on my French little ecriture, get a start on the math assignment, and nail down a topic for the philosophy final.

I am also marveling at how such a big house can be so empty for long stretches of time. It is odd, but makes for a relief of an opportunity to selectively organize my wayward thoughts.

This morning I am missing Dad. Or at least thinking about him a lot, which I take to mean I must miss him at least a little. I hope he is enjoying his Thanksgiving, and pray that he is really soaking in all the greatness from this short break hes got from all the training and hard working preparation.

Family is on my mind a lot lately. I guess Thanksgiving will do that to you. I am Thankful for the opportunity to share some time with the Smith family today (Grandma Nora invited me to her sister's Thanksgiving dinner) and learn more about the dynamics of moms and dads and brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins. The Schlaegel family Thanksgiving was great, a lot of good food, plenty of laughter and all the wonder that comes with thinking about alll the babies just joining the family and the newness of their whole lives and the completeness that they bring to those that already have so much love for them. It is awesome, that completeness, but the fullness of its wholeness brings me to the realization that this kind of familial integrity is somewhat lacking in my life.

This is not to say that I have none -- I consider it one of my greatest blessings that I am a part of the Schlaegel family. My Grandparents are sweeter than life, my aunts and uncles and cousins are some of the funniest, most loving people in the world and I'm not even exaggerating, and the McClellan family -- wow! My time with them so far has shown me that they have been and are all of the above with the an emphasis on generosity and welcoming openness that I have never experienced at any other place or time in my life. Not only this, but they have shown me a perfect model of what family is. Full of love, hard work, and sacrifice, wrought with blunt honesty, and made complete with the stylings of all layers and ranges of emotion. Loud, silent, routine and surprising. Imperfect, and yet in this way, complete. I am blessed by this opportunity to experience life with them, to share life, laughter, toothpaste, water, toilet paper, love... it is my hope that I not outstay my welcome, and that God might help me to know how give back, and not merely to take.

What else is on my mind? It feels much clearer now, I think that covers the big things. I'm pretty sure I am to meet at the Smith's at 1:30. Work begins at 3, and as such I should probably leave with enough time to get back to the McClellan's and change and get to work.. that or I could go ahead and bring the clothes with me, change, and leave for work from there.. This second one sounds like the better of the two, and that way I can hopefully spend at least a little more time with them rather than eat and run off. At 2:38 I should probably start to change, and then leave by 2:45.

Note(s) to self: DONT forget something for putting the hair up. Leave McFly's (aka McClellans for all of you either unfamiliar with the family and/or my mind's processes)a note about when you will be back from work.
-OR-
pack up now and head home after work -- didn't bring anything to wear to church, anyway, and will probably be the only chance to head home this week...? Haven't seen mom in ages!

Hmm... Don't forget-- helping out 2nd service tomorrow, be there @ 9:30?

Also, I should make time for learning from a few chapters of Joshua today.

Pray about where to live in the future... apartment/shared house or something... (?)

..DO YOUR SCHOOLWORK

Start making Christmas cards...

L o v e w e l l this week.

Well I better go, I've got some packing to do!

No comments: