Thursday, October 20, 2011

Scrap Medal


       

"I  like to make everything out of something old... anything I can find... everything."


I prayed for renewed love, hope and understanding, and God gave me Jeremiah.  I hoped as well to experience fall and he gave me Café Grotto, white chocolate mocha (not too sweet!) yellow leaves, their rustle, scatter and smell, and the perfect gift for a dear friend.

Not only does Café Grotto serve coffee, but also a fine craft gallery and metalworking studio.
Talk about inspiration.  I never appreciated metal works before yesterday; they always seemed too rough and  industrial for my taste.  After some years of experiencing appreciation and its lack, gathering 'preferences' and discerning distastes, however, God has taught me that much of what I readily dislike without any particular determination quickly becomes a fascinating reality after discussing it with Him, mulling it over with His Spirit.

He wastes not.  He exercises patient skill.  He not only sees potential, but makes it, and uses it to create more.  He delights in bringing meekness to austerity.  He knows nothing too sharp, too dull, too rusty, or too misshapen.  Hes made a million shades of brown.  Hes made a million shades of brown look glorious.

Metal, glass and wood are materials of contradictions. They are all strong and durable, yet soft and impressionable. Working under the most extreme conditions, fire, sparks and noise, I find the process of working with these materials exciting and inspiring. It is like performing a dance or painting a masterpiece. Smooth curves and gleaming patinas render lifelike qualities to these materials, otherwise known for coldness and rigidity. The final product dazzles the mind and stirs the soul.”
-Deb Moseman, Metal Artist

May God find our every shard at His disposal, available for His reworking; even those we have discounted as worn-out and useless.
'Rough and industrial' has become strong and industrious.
Surely He is a Crafter beyond any other.

No comments: