Friday, February 1, 2013

Information, Technology, and Spirituality

While waiting at the toaster this morning, a song from my choral years at Worthington Kilbourne streamed through my mind,
 "OoooOoooOohhh, Ohhh-o homeland......Thaaaa deeearest and thaaa best!" 
was all I could remember, and I thought surely I could Googlesearch those lyrics alone and find who wrote the song, when, and even where I could purchase copies and listen to the piece performed.  Sometimes I forget how unlimited and astounding technology is these days, then I stop to think about it for two seconds and am blown away afresh.  We have come to an age in which nearly any bit of common information - anything we might need or want to know - is beyond accessible, in fractions of a second, no less! 

We have all the answers.  It's incredible and astounding and a real achievement, a great gift.

But having the information is just a good step.  In order for it to have any greater value we must learn to assimilate it, otherwise it's just information for information's sake.  Nifty or profound as some facts prove themselves, the information is completely useless unless we allow it to inform our living in real ways.

At some point this thought shifted me to the Bible.  God has given us "everything we need for life and godliness" by His word and its revelation of Jesus for who He is, how he restores our hearts and gives us lasting, fullest life.  Everything we need.  We can choose to ignore it, appreciate it, or sincerely seek to apply that information, to steer our lives by it.

Hopefully, information gives way to wisdom and fuller life for everyone.  Otherwise it's trivia, at best.  Great to win a game of Trivial Pursuit, but where does that get you, really?

No comments: