Monday, December 5, 2011

fiel

He's always been faithful.

I keep reading about places in the Bible where significant events went down, and those involved left signposts -- memorials of sorts -- as visual, tangible means to remember how God made his presence and care real among them.

These are structures, usually made of something sturdy, and lasting.  They're given names - names with meaning, always indicating something about God's character.

How quick I am to accept God's goodness as general provision, my 'given' share, an expected gift.
This seems devoid of gratitude, or delight, or pleasure.
It's just another day,
meal,
sunset,
breath,
thoughtful note,
phone call,
walk,
breath.

Who am I to think I deserve these things?  The moment I stop treasuring them is the moment I forget how much God loves and looks out for me.

He's the one who loved me enough to treasure me first.  Can I accept that he loves me enough to evidence it in every tiny treasure he places along my day's path?  Maybe it starts with simply having eyes to see them again for what they are; gestures, gifts, reciprocal treasures.

Everything comes from him.  It should be enough that he allows us to know him -- but to let us be part of him?  To grace us to gain his glory in every detail of our lives?

How should we respond?
With delight.
With pleasure.
With creative thanksgiving.

And maybe we can even find ways to return it.

No comments: