Sunday, July 12, 2009

Many good ideas come...

when you are ready for bed! Better than none at all, huh?

Most of us have heard that good things come to those who wait --

What is the foundation of this most hopeful of phrases?
After some investigating, I found that this quotation is derived from the Bible; specifically Lamentations, chapter 3 (verse 25).
"The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him."

With that, what is the 'good' to which these wise words refer?
Things? (What things?) Favor? A higher level of understanding, perhaps? Refined faith?...Does he grant his goodness after a certain amount of time? Is it a matter of time at all, maybe more of the heart? If this is so, can some 'wait' more effectively than others? Why do we wait in the first place?

This was kinda nice...

"God, the one and only --
I'll wait as long as He says.
Everything I hope for comes from Him,
so why not?
He's solid rock under my feet,
breathing room for my soul..."
- Psalm 62:5-7

Pretty reassuring. That was the Message version.
From another, more traditional version (NIV) it says:

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge."

So from here we might gather that these 'good' things include hope, assurance, protection, honor and salvation.

With provisions like that, who is worried about specifics?

1 comment:

Christine said...

great thoughts, Ashley! I love your last comment. We don't have to know what exactly we're getting, just that it's going to be good because it's from God. :-D