Thursday, May 31, 2012

Out-of-the-Pot

     No point in keeping on the move if your soul's not at rest.  Today, I read a Couch Surfer's description; a self-proclaimed (diagnosed?) 'Chronic Nomad'.  I think I enjoy this same affliction.


   As such, though I so treasure rooted-ness, it hasn't exactly shone as my most recent achievement.  I could philosophize about how geographically I may not be diggin deep, and am more a potted plant, roots intact, sticking with my owner.  (And could you ask for more?!)  I've liked it well enough, seeing the sun from new vantages, knowing I'm still in good hands.  But my soul keeps urging for me to find something more - and gaining articulation.


     For someone who likes open horizons and equally panoramic options, the prospect of choosing one place to ground - to 'transplant' (leave that pot!) seems foreign - and yet, exciting!
(Pixelated) Clay Pot Adventures

  It's coming clear the things my soul wants; deeper community, family time, close friendships - and the way I've gone about my potted ventures haven't come to line up, and likely won't

-- unless I trade in my hard (sturdy!  protective!) terra-cotta for a pliable, biodegradable pot - and let my roots and real earth mingle.  Then, maybe it could happen.  Soon, I probably won't even realize the pot is gone.

  Conditions will get harsher.  But, I will feel the sun more intensely, and drink in the rain's value more intently.  When storms come, and lightening with 'em, you know I'll enjoy absorbing every possible bit of nitrogen showered.  That's some direct exposure.  But imagine the growth!  


 This is where the Adam's and Eve's of all plants started, no?  The ground?  His name says it all, and hers, that it works.

   From place-to-place as potted photosynthesizers we can surely adapt, and well.  The sun's everywhere we're willing to look, and even where we won't.  But to think of what it means to be suited to a particular environment - starting from a tiny seed, overcoming adversity, working collaboratively with our neighboring flora and fauna... that's special.  Yes, yes; there's overpopulation, as well as under-, and the winds will carry us where they want.  And sure, we can adapt.
But native grounds are native grounds.  We make a lot of sense in our original contexts. 

And then there's always the wind.  

 

Same Caretaker everywhere though, right?
__________

Maybe it's right-brain-heavy justification.  Maybe I'm ready for some dynamic new growth. 
Either way, with this, I officially declare my intent to return to Ohio, or otherwise settle somewhere soon.

I'll re-adapt, and adopt new life - and as soon as I'm adept at adapting, who's to say I won't have the increased maturity to even adopt something new, or it, me?


At my best, I can remain open to the wind.

No comments: